Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Raspberry Ricotta Oat Scones

Just a little side note before we get into the post below and boy oh boy is it a good one! For those of you, and I know there aren't a lot of you out there reading this now, but hopefully one day there will be, what do you think of the new blog design? I only ask because I've been toying around with it a bunch, and while it's not quite how I want it yet, it's getting closer! I welcome any and all feedback in the comments below or feel free to contact me at savoryandsweeteats@yahoo.com! 

Also, since I'm still new to this whole blogging world, I would love some feedback and ideas  on what you like, what you don't like and things you think would make it better!

Ok, now back to the good stuff:

Raspberry. Ricotta. Oat. Scones. Are your mouth's drooling yet? If not, they should be. 



The hubby and I headed over to our friends house this past weekend for a potluck brunch and to watch the Seahawk's play Atlanta. Can you believe they lost!?!?! After such a great comeback, to have Mr. Pete Carroll make a crappy timeout call.....OMG! I'm sure he is so unhappy with himself!! 




Anyways, I was sidetracked. Back to the scones. The delicious scones. You guys, these are soooo good. I found the recipe on my all-time favorite food blogger's site, Deb at Smitten Kitchen. She has never, ever steered me wrong. The berries are perfect. The ricotta makes the scones super moist, and it has a mixture of whole wheat flour and white flour, with limited amounts of sugar, so they aren't even that bad for you. I added the oats on a whim at the last minute, and I'm so glad I did. Although, because the recipe comes from Deb, I'm sure the scones would have been just as perfect without them.







The only sad part, well other than the Seahawk's losing, was that they were all gone by the time the game was over. But don't worry, I'm definitely making these again, maybe even this weekend. 



What do you think? 




1 c whole wheat flour
1 c white flour
1 tblsp baking powder
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
6 tblsp butter
1 c fresh raspberries (feel free to throw in a few extras...I did!)
3/4 c ricotta
1/3 c heavy whipping cream
1/2 c rolled oats

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix together flours, baking powder, sugar and salt together in a large mixing bowl.


Cut the butter into small pieces with a knife and work the butter into the flour mixture with your fingertips until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. If you have a pastry blender, Deb has instructions for using a pastry blender on Smittenkitchen.com. I used an old school potato masher and it worked great! 

Mix in the raspberries. Deb suggests you cut them up, I left them whole and I'm so happy I did. 




Add the ricotta and heavy cream together and stir. Begin to knead the dough with your hands. Transfer the dough to a well-floured counter. I formed my dough into a mini pizza and cut triangle shaped scones. This made 8 nice sized scones. 


Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment