Monday, January 7, 2013

Creamy Chicken and Veggie Quinoa Primavera

You guys this is so good! I mean so so so so good. And the kicker, is it's good for you too! 


This Creamy Chicken and Veggie Quinoa Primavera is definitely going to become a staple in my house. It's made with quinoa (duh!) (a grain super high in protein), lots of veggies, grilled chicken and I secretly threw in chia seeds (which are sooooo good for you - they're full of protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and lots of other vitamins and minerals - thanks to the hubster for reading up on these and convincing me to purchase them!)



I love quinoa, but I'm still in the beginning stages of experimenting with it. I'm kind of addicted to pinterest looking for good ideas which is exactly where I found this one! It came from Let's Dish and I only changed it slightly (adding the chicken and chia seeds), but you can find the original recipe there. 




 I only just started using it last year, so when I find a recipe that is AMAZING, I get really excited about it. It does, admittedly have some cream cheese in there, but if you want to be super crazy low-cal, healthy about it, you can get low-fat or non-fat cream cheese and not feel guilty one bit. I'm more of the everything in moderation kind of girl, so I went with the full-fat cream cheese and it was melt-in your mouth good.



With yummy, delicious dishes like these, I will definitely be able to stick to my New Year's Resolution and you can too!

Creamy Chicken and Veggie Quinoa Primavera
1-2 Chicken Breasts
3/4 cups uncooked quinoa
1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
4 ounces cream cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon butter
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 cups thinly sliced or bite sized pieces assorted uncooked vegetables ( I used carrots, broccoli, red onion, yellow peppers, and a spicy pepper to heat things up)
3 tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese

1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional and just for added healthy perks)

Directions


Season your chicken with salt and pepper and if you prefer, any additional Italian Seasonings (basil, oregano, parsley, etc.). Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. 

Meanwhile, rinse quinoa thoroughly; drain. Bring quinoa and broth to boil in a 2-quart saucepan; reduce heat. 
Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until broth is absorbed. 

While quinoa is cooking, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook garlic in butter for about one minute, stirring frequently, until golden. Stir in vegetables. Cook about 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp-tender. 

Stir cream cheese and basil into cooked quinoa. Toss vegetables and chicken with quinoa mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Serve and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment