Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pantry Meals: Pasta with Grilled Chicken and Ricotta Tomato Sauce

I make what I call "pantry meals" at least 1-2 times a week. Ask my husband, it's true. When it gets toward the end of the week, and groceries are low, but I'm too lazy to go shopping and we have a bunch of half-used ingredients in our pantry and refrigerator, I start to scheme about what sort of creations I can come up with in order to use the rest of those ingredients. 


Half of an onion, a bag of pasta, some leftover pasta sauce (from this recipe here!), leftover Ricotta cheese from delicious Raspberry Ricotta Oat Scones (don't worry the recipes coming!) I made this past weekend, what's left of my grape tomatoes from this delicious lunchtime salad, and woila Pasta with Grilled Chicken and Ricotta Tomato Sauce was born.



It's not something I planned to make, heck, the next time I make it, it will be completely different, but it just goes to show with a little ingenuity and a few key ingredients, you can make a healthy, hearty, filling meal out of a few random ingredients in your fridge. Another great thing about "pantry meals" are that you use up all the food in your fridge without letting things go bad! I hate, hate hate having to throw away food because I didn't use it before it went bad. Don't you? 




The measurements aren't exact, and like I said, will always change (depending on what groceries we're bought), but the important thing here is to learn to mix and match and try out new combinations of food. You might just surprise yourself! 




I thought it would be fun to post some of my "pantry meals" and maybe, just maybe, you'll start to form some ideas on your own! 

Do any of you ever come up with delicious, crazy concoctions from the leftovers in your refrigerator? I'd love to hear if you do! 


Pasta with Grilled Chicken and Ricotta Tomato Sauce
1 lb Penne Pasta
1/2 c Tomato Sauce
1 c Diced tomatoes
1/2 Onion diced 
8 oz Ricotta Cheese
2-3 cloves Garlic
Olive Oil
1-2 Grilled Chicken Breasts, diced
Salt and Pepper to taste

Put olive oil, tomatoes, garlic and onions in a pan and sauté for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile boil water for pasta. 

As the tomatoes and onions start to soften, add in tomatoe sauce and ricotta. Mix together and let simmer. 

Dice grilled chicken breasts. Drain pasta, and mix in chicken and the Ricotta Tomatoe Sauce. 

Serve and Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment