Saturday, January 26, 2013

Grilled Chicken Burgers with Spicy Guacamole

This is the stuff of warn summer days and backyard BBQs so it seems a little odd that I would post a recipe that screams Summertime in the middle of January. Well, here's my rational: It's beyond cold outside and has been in the lower 30s for one too many days now, and I am seriously craving some warm weather and a weekend BBQ. So I figured if I can't have warm weather, I can at least have warm weather food for a Winter Weekend BBQ. Sound Ok? Good :)



This is sooo good. And healthy too! I used the “thinwich” buns (100 calories for the whole bun), and thinly sliced one chicken breast in half (we do this a lot because usually store-bought chicken breasts are huge! and way bigger than a single serving). Then I seasoned up the chicken breast with onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and some smoky paprika. Then I pulled out my handy indoor grilling pan to brown off the chicken and popped it in the over to cook all the way through. This is my favorite way to cook chicken and leaves it nicely browned on the outside and then super moist on the inside.







While my chicken was cooking, I made my most favorite guacamole recipe in the whole wide world. Once the chicken was done, I topped the “thinwich” buns with guacamole, cheddar, tomatoes, red onion, lettuce and the chicken and you've got yourself a pretty delicious summertime (or mid-January) meal.




I hope you like it as much as I did!

Let's all cross our fingers that Spring comes sooner than later! 




Grilled Chicken Burgers with Spicy Guacamole
 
For the Chicken:

2 Grilled Chicken Breasts (We cut one in half to make them thinner)
1/4 tsp Salt 
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Paprika 
1 tblsp Olive Oil

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Season both sides of your chicken breast with salt, pepper, onion powder and paprika. I usually just eyeball the amounts so depending on how much spice you like, add more or less. In a stove top grill pan or skillet heat up olive oil. Brown your chicken (about 4 minutes on each side). Then if your pan is oven safe, pop the pan in the oven, or transfer chicken to a baking dish and put in the oven to finish cooking for about 20-25 minutes. (If you're using frozen chicken breasts, you'll need more time, 30-35 minutes). 

While your chicken is cooking, prepare the guacamole.  




For the Guacamole:

2 Avocados 
1 Tomato
1/2 Red Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
1 spicy pepper (such as jalapeno or serrano)
Salt and Pepper
Cilantro (optional)

I like chunkier guacamole so I give the avacado, onion, tomato and pepper a rough chop then combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mash together ( a potato masher is great for this!) to your desired consistency. 

Assemble your buns with guacamole, tomato, onion, lettuce and cheese and top off with your grilled chicken breast. 

Cheers to summertime...only 5 more months to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment