Friday, January 25, 2013

Black and Blue Streusel Muffins

So I know I promised a hummus recipe this week, but then I decided that making muffins would be more fun :) So I did! But I also thought I'd be posting this on Wednesday this week, and now it's Friday (FINALLY) and this is the perfect recipe to start off your weekend.



These Black and Blue Streusel muffins are the perfect on the go breakfast, but you know what....they're so good, they can be eaten as dessert too! And who doesn't love dessert for breakfast? I know I do!









They do, admittedly have a ton of sugar in them, but I switched out white flour for wheat, added not just blueberries but blackberries too (hence the name "Black and Blue"), so I would argue that the wheat flour and added fruit, totally outweighs the sugar, and therefore, makes these muffins, healthy! Right? I win that argument, dontcha think? Well, I won't tell you then that I decided that these muffins would be way better than they already were if I added a struesel topping made with brown sugar, more wheat flour (see healthy, right?) and oats (a whole grain...I'm winning this argument, I can tell), so that's just what I did :)






So make these this weekend, and if you can control yourself enough to only eat one a day, then they will last you all week, and maybe next week too, for breakfast! 




How you ask? After they're done baking, and if you can wait for them to cool down, without eaten them all in one sitting, you can pop them in your freezer and take them out the night before you're ready to take them on the go (because if you're anything like me, sitting down to breakfast on a workday is all but impossible, Monday through Friday - this girl pretty much eats her breakfast in the car).


Happy Friday Everyone!





Black and Blue Streusel Muffins

1/2 c butter, softened
1-1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c white flour
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c milk
1 c blueberries
1 c blackberries

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time.

Combine the flour, baking powder and salt and slowly add it to the mixture alternating with the milk. 

Mix in your berries. 

Line a cupcake pan with cupcake cups. Pour batter about 2/3 of the way full. Top with Streusel topping (see recipe below). Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  (Side note: Trust your nose! If you start to smell the delicious muffins baking in your oven, they're probably pretty close to done). Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. 

Streusel Topping

1/2 c butter, room temperature
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c flour ( I ran out of white flour so I used a mix of white and wheat)
1/2 c oats 

Put butter, flour and brown sugar into a food processor and pulse, or if you don't have a food processor, put ingredients into a bowl and use a potato masher to create crumbly mixture. Your mixture should be crumbly. Stir in your oats. Sprinkle mixture on top of muffins and bake according to the directions above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment