Saturday, February 16, 2013

Kitchen Musings...

A little Saturday morning kitchen musings. I promise I'll post a real recipe on Monday ;) 

I've been reading a lot of blogs lately, about food mostly. Are you surprised?



And I stumbled upon the Sprouted Kitchen. It's safe to say I've fallen in love with this site.

It is beautiful.

But there is one thing, in particular, that really resonated with me.





She waxes eloquently (a phrase I've heard my dad use frequently, but until this moment, I didn't find very many deserving of it), much more so than I, about how cooking isn't really a true science. It's more a little of this, and a little of that, and a combining of ingredients until you find either the perfect dish or, sometimes even, something you hope to never ever recreate again. This is so true to me.



So often, I throw together ingredients, hoping, praying that they turn out. Sometimes, ok, a lot of a time, I'm looking at a recipe or a combination of recipes, trying to re-create something I've seen, or tasted, or dreamed about. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesn't. Cooking isn't really a science. Baking, I would argue, is. There are precise measurements that go into the perfect cake, cupcake, cookie or brownie recipe. But that is another post for another time.







Cooking allows you to live on the edge. I like that. I like dreaming up new recipes, trying out new combinations, or throwing, literally whatever I have in my kitchen into a pot and seeing how it turns out. (Don't believe me? Check out some of my Pantry Meals).



I guess what I'm trying to say is, experiment. Experiment with food. Experiment with ingredients. Try new things. There are endless possibilities. I'm not trying to say you're going to be the next Iron Chef, but you might surprise yourself. I know I have. Use my recipes, recipes I've found from other people, recipes in cookbooks, recipes online, and on TV as guides, road maps but don't be afraid to wander off the path, travel the road less traveled so to say.



And if you do, I'd love to hear about it. So come back and tell me. I'm all ears (or eyes in the case of the Internet).



See you Monday folks! Have a great weekend :)







No comments:

Post a Comment