Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pantry Meals: Roasted Carrot & Golden Beet Coconut Bisque

You guys this is my best pantry meal to date. 

Hands down. 


And I owe my good friend Nicole (Hi Nicole!) and having my wisdom teeth taken out a big thank you for the idea. She and I were chatting the other day and she mentioned a beet soup she had at a restaurant that was called "Red Velvet." 







Since I've been recuperating from having my wisdom teeth out I've mainly beet eating soup. Lots and lots of soup. 

Annnnnnd all the yummy produce from the Farmer's Market was just sitting in our kitchen, begging to be used. Well, Nicole mentioned her "Red Velvet" soup and I got to work in my kitchen with my leftover carrots and golden beets. 




I combined them with coconut milk, saute'd onions, vegetable stock, cumin and a little maple syrup and this is the best soup I've ever tasted in my entire life. It has so much flavor and is thick and hearty just like you want a winter soup to be. Even better, if you choose to leave off the sour cream, this bad boy is Vegan, so you can feel super good about yourself when you eat it!



Pair it with a grilled cheese sandwich (woops there goes the Vegan part) like husband and I did or eat it all by itself, whatever you do just eat it! 

Check out other pantry meals here and here!

Roasted Carrot & Golden Beet Coconut Bisque

1 Large Golden Beet (or 4 smaller beets)
4 Large Carrots (or about 1 lb baby carrots)
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cumin
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 15 oz can light coconut milk
4 c vegetable stock 
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Peel and cut your carrots and beets into 1 inch thick pieces. Toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper and spread out on a cookie sheet. Roast in the oven for about 40-45 minutes or until carrots and beets are tender. 

Meanwhile, heat up remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic and onions in a large skillet. Cooking the onions till translucent, about 5 minutes. 

Pour onions into a food processor. When carrots and beets are done, add those to your food processor, along with the can of coconut milk. Pulse until mixture is reduced to a thick pulp. 

In a large pot, combine carrot and beet mixture with 4 c vegetable stock and heat over medium high heat, about 15 minutes, stirring until the bisque is completely combined with the vegetable stock. Add in cumin and maple syrup and season with salt and pepper to your liking. 

Pour bisque into a bowl and top with sour cream. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment