Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Because I'm happy ....

has anybody else watched the video of the guy proposing to his girlfriend every single day for a WHOLE YEAR? I can barely keep a secret for a week, so this was pretty amazing to me. also, it made that damn pharrell "Happy" song get stuck in my head (hence the title).

but you know what? I'm embracing all the happy today. I got the best news from a good friend of mine this morning that made me smile like a goofball, got to work and watched the proposal video floating around facebook (all the happy tears!), and I made it through my first day of healthy eating without giving into my sweet tooth or wine craving. (it's the little things ;0).



anyways, my morning started out pretty much exactly like yesterday and I rolled with the same breakfast, Yoplait 100 greek yogurt (peach flavored today - but I'm using the same photo from yesterday) and 1/3 cup great grain granola, plus my iced coffee with 1 tbsp. dark chocolate sauce and 1/4 cup coconut milk. heading to work on Mondays and Tuesdays makes this easy breakfast kind of a no brainer.


for my mid morning snack today, I tried out these saffron road chipotle crunchy chickpeas, but I forgot to bring any tea with me today, so I just rolled with good ol' h20. you guys these were so good! they had a little bit of a kick to them, which I loved. they're also tiny, so you get a good amount of them which makes you feel like you're having a large snack (even though you aren't!). these would be great for a movie night, although I'm a big fan of good ol' popcorn too. i could also see topping a southwest style salad with these bad boys for some added crunch. I can't wait to try out the other flavors they have too.


I went home again for lunch and made exactly the same salad as yesterday. lettuce, onion, bell peppers, broccoli, avocado, poached chicken, feta and sliced almonds with lighthouse blue cheese vinaigrette and it was just as good as yesterdays! I promise i'll mix things up the rest of the week so you're not seeing the EXACT same food day in and day out. I would get sick of eating the same thing just like you'll get sick of seeing me eat the same thing ;0) but with all those yummy veggies prepped from Sunday, it was a super easy and fast lunch to make on my lunch break.

what are some of your favorite quick and healthy lunches? I'm all ears for new ideas!


you know what's next?! "snack time and lunch, snack time and lunch." I promise I'm not getting paid to endorse Yoplait, but when I went to get my afternoon snack today, this commercial popped into my head. I kind of secretly love the dorkiness of this dad, and I'm probably going to totally be the mom version of this to my kid (sorry little man!). anyways, for my afternoon snack I had an apple with one laughing cow 35 calorie white cheddar cheese wedge. one of my favorite snacks has always been an apple with cheese. I typically would pair my apple with 2-3 large slices of cheddar, because "chedda makes everything betta" but when one slice of cheddar is around 110 calories, it quickly leads to a not so healthy snack. I thought pairing my apple with the laughing cow cheese would still let me indulge in one of my favorite snacks minus the calories! and it did, this brought my favorite snack down from around 400 calories to about 100....go me! while, the real thing will always taste better in my mind, this was a great alternative and i'll definitely be using it a lot in the future. I also had a cup of Organics Chai Spiced Tea.


I was super excited about my dinner tonight! I baked a sweet potato and loaded it with a black bean, corn and red onion mixture, topped it with a little melted cheddar cheese and then topped that with a quick makeshift guacamole (1/2 avocado mashed, a few tomatoes, red onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder). it was seriously so good, filling (I could only finish about 3/4 of it) and a healthier version of a stuffed baked potato!

I've posted the recipe for my dinner at the bottom of this post for those of you who want to try it out!

My calories for today came in at exactly 1,500. Which means I'm off to try and ward off the late night munchies until bedtime. Cross your fingers for me that the ugly sweet tooth and wino monsters don't roar their ugly heads.

Black Bean & Corn Stuffed Sweet Potato with Guacamole for One

1 medium sweet potato
1/4 c black beans
1/4 c sweet corn
1 tbsp. diced red onion
1/4 c shredded cheddar
salt
pepper

For the Guacamole:
1/2 avocado
1-2 slices of tomato
1 tbsp red onion
salt
pepper
garlic powder

preheat your oven to 400. start by rinsing, and poking holes in your sweet potato. place it on a baking sheet and bake for about 50-60 min.

while your sweet potato is baking, combine your stuffing: black beans, corn and red onion go into a bowl and season with salt and pepper. stir.

when your potato is done, take it out of the oven , and cut it open, stuff your potato with the filling and top with about 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese.

pop it back into the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

while that's cooking, assemble your quick and easy guacamole for one! in a small bowl mix the avocado, tomato and red onion and mash away till it's the consistency of your pleasing. season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to your liking (I like lots of garlic and lots of pepper so I'm hesitant to suggest a specific amount - you do you)

Once your cheese is melted, pull your potato out of the oven and top with the guacamole!

(Usually I would also smother this in sour cream, but since I'm counting calories, I chose to skip the sour cream, and just use the guac. salsa would also be a  yummy addition)

For those of you out there tracking calories, I added these ingredients up in the MyFitnessPal app, and it totaled 539 calories for the whole thing (including the guacamole!)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment