Sunday, November 26, 2017

A Hat Island Thanksgiving

 Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a wonderful long weekend and a very Happy Thanksgiving. We spent the past week out at our favorite place, Hat Island, and celebrated Thanksgiving, island style for the very first time!


Lincoln, my mom and I left Saturday and spent the evening in Everette before catching the ferry over on Sunday. Our drive was fairly smooth until the very end, when Lincoln ended up getting car sick all over himself and the car seat. It was awful. I felt so bad for the little guy. My mom and I do not handle puke very well, so while we gagged our way through cleaning up the mess, Lincoln huddled down in the front seat of the car until we could get him all fixed up.



On Sunday, we met up with my little brother, went to breakfast, ran some errands and did a final grocery run before hopping on the ferry that afternoon at 3PM. The wind was crazy and the boat ride was extremely rocky but we made it! And then we ran into our first mud slide. Ugh. My mom and I got Lincoln settled down with a movie and proceeded to make about 7 trips back and forth with all of suitcases, coolers, grocery and a 22 lb turkey.



While getting to the island can take a lot of work, once you're there, it's full on relaxation mode. We spent Monday and Tuesday cooking up a storm! I made Christmas Cookies, Peanut Butter Balls, French Onion Puff Pastry Puffs and helped my mom with the Kibbeh.




Wednesday brought the arrival of Kevin, my dad and my little brother! We headed out Wednesday morning to pick up Kevin and ran into ANOTHER MUDSLIDE. We weren't able to get around this one, so my mom called a friend to pick up Kevin and deliver him to us, and we did the same for my dad and Griffin later in the day.




Thursday was the big day and it ended up being the most relaxing and chaos free Thanksgiving yet! Lincoln and I made cinnamon rolls to start the day and we all lounged around, watched Christmas movies and hung out while the turkey roasted and the food cooked in the over. My mom had prepped so much of the food throughout the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving that there wasn't much for us to do until right before dinner time, when we made a salad, some mashed potatoes  and cooked the grape leaves as well as warmed the stuffing, rice dressing, meat pies, etc. Dinner was delicious (as always), the drinks were flowing (for those of us who aren't preggo) and we were all sufficiently stuffed. We ended the night with Christmas Cookies and Peanut Butter Balls and more holiday movies!






Friday was a lazy start, when Lincoln actually slept in till 8:30!! A holiday miracle in and of itself. We spent the day eating leftovers, lounging and cleaning up and packing before heading out on the 7 PM ferry that evening and making the long drive home.



It was a great first Hat Island Thanksgiving, mudslides and all! Now back to the work grind.


No comments:

Post a Comment