Monday, May 13, 2013

Re-Created "Cowboy Ciao" Chopped Salad


When I went to Arizona to visit husband, we ate a lot of food. 

But one of my favorite meals ever, was a chopped salad called "The Stetson Chopped" from Cowboy Ciao in Old Town Scottsdale

The combination of flavors was amazing. This salad is so good, that in place of the ingredients listed on the menu, it's simply a quote from a customer that reads "I love that chopped salad so much that I put it on my screen saver!”

It's seriously that good.

The grilled chicken (the original comes with salmon, but I'm not a fish person), roasted corn, Israeli couscous, tomatoes and a blend of pumpkin seeds, asiago cheese and dried black currants, was an explosion of flavors so good, that I literally could have eaten that salad for every single meal while I was there. 

Needless to say...I have been CRAVING that salad. 

So I set out to recreate it with a little help from searching the internet. 

I love the internet. 

You can find EVERYTHING On it. 

I digress. 

I switched up a few of the ingredients, but the combination is, I think, just as good. 
I also lightened up the pesto buttermilk dressing by making it with greek yogurt instead of mayo, and if you ask me it tastes just as good, if not better, with half the calories! 

SCORE!

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, you need this salad in your life. 
Trust me. 


This recipe is for a large salad, so if you're making it for you, or maybe you and someone else, make sure to pair down the recipes. 

Enjoy!


Re-Created "Cowboy Ciao" Chopped Salad
2 heads romaine lettuce, torn
1 c chicken
1 c cooked couscous
1 c oven roasted corn
4 or 5 small tomatoes

1/4 c dried cranberries or craisins
1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
1/4 c pepitas


Buttermilk Pesto Dressing
1/2 c pesto
1/4 onion, diced
1 c plain greek yogurt
1 c buttermilk
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper to taste


Mix in a blender and chill.

Place lettuce in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix together the cranberries, parmesan and pepitas. 

Distribute each chopped ingredient in wide lines lengthwise across the top of the salad. 

Pour the dressing over the top, toss and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment