Sunday, October 21, 2012

Mashed Potato and Kale Pancakes

I cannot believe it has been more than 2 months since I posted something. Especially because last time, I promised I would be better about posting. Lots has happened in the past two months. I got married (yah!) I turned 29 (not sure how I feel about this one), the hubster (I'm still getting used to saying husband, but I like it! I really do) and I are settling into married life and exploring our new city, Portland. So with all these new and exciting things happening, and it being the last year of my twenties, I was inspired by my good friend, Morgan (Hi Morgan!) to make a list of 30 things to do before I turn 30! Guess what topped that list? Committing to posting at least 3 times a month (or MORE!) on this little adventure of a food blog. I'm going to try, really really really hard. We'll see how well I do and please feel free to hold me accountable. 

And for those of you who might be thinking, how hard is it to take a picture of what you're cooking, you're right! And, I promise I'm not starving my new husband to death either. I'm trying really hard to be a good little wife (hehehe!) and make him healthy, wholesome, delicious dinners on a somewhat regular basis. 

One of the really cool things about Portland, is that there are tons of local farms in the area, and lots of grocery stores, co-ops and food delivery services that are available to help you get easy, inexpensive access to all of the yummy produce! The other day, I received my first box of local produce from "Organics to You." It was awesome! Full of tons of seasonal fruits and veggies that I can't wait to try out. It also forced me to do a little experimenting with different veggies that, I'm sorry to say, I've never actually tried (sorry kale, I've found you and now  I love you and I promise I'll eat you all the time). 




This wonderful little delivery forced me to look up and research all kinds of recipes that use Kale, a leafy green, that I'm sorry to say, I had never tried before until this past week. I found an awesome recipe for Mashed Potatoe and Kale Pancakes from Bon Appetite and it was AMAZING. The hubby like them too, so it was a double win! I'm also excited to say that there is a bunch of Kale left over so I get to try out and experiment with it a little bit more. Look for more kale recipes soon, but first, you must go make these. They were delish!












Mashed Potato and Kale Pancakes
1 1/2 pounds unpeeled russet potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 pound kale, center rib and stem cut from each leaf, leaves coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg


Cook potatoes in large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain; return potatoes to same saucepan. Add yogurt and butter. Mash potatoes (with peel) until smooth. Season with 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Transfer mashed potatoes to large bowl and cool.


Heat 11/2 tablespoons oil in large deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add kale and thyme. 


Toss until kale wilts, about 5 minutes. Add kale mixture, 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg to potatoes; blend. Cool potato mixture 30 minutes.
Shape potato mixture by 1/4 cupfuls into 1/2-inch-thick patties. Arrange on rimmed baking sheet. 


Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cakes and cook, without moving, until cakes are brown and crispy on bottom, 3 to 4 minutes. Carefully turn cakes over. Cook until brown on bottom, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Transfer to plates. 



2 comments:

  1. These look awesome. what would you say about swapping the kale for chard? Sometimes I worry the kale will be too sturdy but then i guess you just wilt it a bit more... i will look forward to your further kaleventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! Apparently I'm not very good at checking my comments, because I just noticed this now. Chard is another veggie that I'm not too familiar with, but should definitely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete