Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Day at the Bluff

Have you ever had pumpkin donuts? If not, I suggest you go out and find some right this minute. I’m serious. Stop doing whatever it is you’re doing and find yourself some pumpkin donuts. Or, use the recipe I have below from Better Homes and Gardens. Skip over this post, and make them. RIGHT. NOW.

The fall is my most favorite time of year. It’s not just that I happen to be an October baby that makes me love it so much or that I’m getting married this fall in September. Nope. It has nothing to do with either of those things. Although, I’ll admit, they are added perks! What makes me love the fall so much, other than the beautiful colors, the warm fall days and much cooler nights, is that I get to go to Greenbluff and eat Pumpkin Donuts!




Greenbluff is an association of small family farms just a short 30 minute drive north of Spokane, WA. It’s fun all year round. The crops vary by season, but any time of year, you can go and pick your own fresh, locally grown produce. In the fall, they have the Harvest Festival. It’s Awesome. Apple picking, hayrides, fresh apple cider, pumpkin patches and oh man those pumpkin donuts. They are TO DIE FOR. I’ve tried, time and time again to find a recipe that will compare, but nothing will come close, except for maybe the recipe I have below.





Every October we head up to Greenbluff to pick pumpkins and buy pumpkin donuts by the dozen. Yes. I said by the dozens. I’m serious, you can’t just buy one of these and I dare you not to try and eat more than one in a sitting. They’re addicting.


And I’m not the only one who thinks so…



My niece Ocean enjoying a pumpkin donut!

Pumpkin Donuts
**Taken from Better Homes and Garden

2 
tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 
cup sugar
2 
teaspoons baking powder
1/2 
teaspoon salt
1/2 
teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4
 teaspoon baking soda
1/4
 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8
 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or a Dash of ground nutmeg
1/8 
teaspoon ground cloves
1/2
 cup canned pumpkin
1/3
 cup buttermilk
1 
egg
1 
egg yolk
1/2 
teaspoon vanilla
2 
cups all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil for deep-fat frying

In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high seed for 30 seconds. Add the 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in pumpkin, buttermilk, egg, egg yolk and vanilla until combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour until well combined. Cover and chill 3 hours.

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-inch doughnut cutter, dipping cutter into flour between cuts. Reroll as necessary.

Fry doughnuts, 2 or 3 at a time, in deep, hot fat (365 degrees F) about 2-1/2 minutes or until golden, turning once. Using a slotted spoon, removed doughnuts from oil and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining doughnuts and doughnut holes. Coat warm doughnuts in Spiced Sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes about 12 doughnuts plus holes.

Spiced Sugar
1/2
cup sugar
2 
teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
In a small bowl, stir together sugar, ground cinnamon, and freshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg. Dust donuts in sugar and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment