Monday, April 30, 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Dreamcakes


I think I’ve mentioned before how much I LOVE cupcakes. Well, word must have got around, because last week I was asked to bake cupcakes for a work colleague’s birthday.



I immediately thought of a Chocolate Peanut Butter cake I had made from SmittenKitchen.com (her site is amazing and I get so much inspiration from her, so please go check it out right now!) for my dad’s birthday last Spring. Only this time, I thought I would simplify things a little bit and make cupcakes as opposed to cake, and skip the chocolate ganache (although it was sinfully delicious on the cake). Instead, I chose to top them with miniature Reese's, which I thought added a cute extra touch. 






These cupcakes turned out better than expected and they truly are dreamcakes!  The cake is moist and delicious and the frosting was just as good as I remembered. But really when your combining ingredients like peanut butter and chocolate, where can you go wrong?




My co-workers must have agreed because I’ve had multiple cupcake requests since I brought these in last Tuesday J




Chocolate Peanut Butter Dreamcakes
Adapted from Smittenkitchen.com
2 cups all-purpose flour

2 1/2 cups sugar

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup neutral vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream

1 1/2 cups water

2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with liners.
Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Whisk to combine them well. Add the oil and sour cream and whisk to blend. Gradually beat in the water. Blend in the vinegar and vanilla. Whisk in the eggs and beat until well blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and be sure the batter is well mixed. Pour into cupcake liners, about ¾ of the way full.
Bake 18-20 minutes and let cool.
Peanut Butter Frosting
10 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature

1 stick buter
5 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted

2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
Mix everything together except for the peanut butter. Once sugar, butter, cream cheese and vanilla are mixed together add the peanut butter and beat till smooth.

Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment